WHO: Jamboree Housing Corporation, a leading nonprofit housing developer in CA, and Housing with HEART, Jamboree’s Resident Services Group
WHAT: 4th Annual Jam!boree Day in Conjunction with the 2011 SHARE (Senior Health and Resources) Expo
Interview and Photo Opportunities
- Group Clinics: Field games, nutrition booth, health walk
- Featured Events: Basketball with Juaquin Hawkins, soccer, Hula Hoop contest, handball, volleyball, yoga, rugby, rock wall
- Special Guest: Juaquin Hawkins, a former NBA player, Fontana resident and stroke survivor.
- Hawkins’ inspirational story was featured recently on an episode of NBC’s Breakthrough with Tony Robbins. Hawkins is co-founder of Hawk Hoops, a youth basketball program, the author of the autobiographical book Stroke of Grace and is an ambassador for the American Stroke Association
- Community Residents: More than 500 residents from 28 affordable housing communities in Orange, L.A., San Bernardino and Riverside counties. Plus, dozens more Jamboree residents will gather in Lancaster and Palm Springs as well as 400 residents and volunteers in Sacramento from 11 of Jamboree’s communities in Northern California.
- More than 50 Health & Wellness Organizations will provide health testing, scans and screenings, including: Greater Newport Physicians, Irvine Health Center and Albertsons/Savon Pharmacy.
- Jamboree and Housing with HEART: Corporate Staff and Resident Service Coordinators.
Sponsorships, Partnerships and Volunteers provided by:
- Advent Construction, a general contractor for many Jamboree properties, and top Jam!boree Day sponsor, is hosting Hawaiian-themed activity station and lunchtime Polynesian Dance performance.
- Irvine Mobile Recreation Program
- Irvine Lakeview Senior Center
- Pacific Life Good Guys
- The John Stewart Company
- Long Beach State Alpha Rho Gamma Omega Chapter
- The Layne Family (Jam!boree Day is the brainchild of Natasha Layne, Supervisor, Children & Family Services, Jamboree’s Resident Service Group)
WHEN: Saturday, October 22, 2011 9a to 3:30p
|9a-12p||Lakeview Senior Center SHARE resource fair|
|11a||Opening Ceremonies: Warm-up led by Long Beach State Alpha Omega Rho Gamma Chapter|
|11:30a||Rotation 1: Basketball, Tai Chi, Soccer, Group Games, Family Lawn Games, Community Walk|
|1:30p||Performances: Polynesian Dancers, Juaquin Hawkins Interview, Property Performances|
|2-3:15p||Rotation 2: Zumba, Yoga, Ageless Art, Rugby, Basketball, Group Games, Family Lawn Games|
WHERE: Woodbridge Park, 20 Lake Road, Irvine, CA 92604 (Corner of Alton & Lake Road, between Culver & Jeffrey, east of 405 fwy)
WHY: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 12.5 million children and youth ages 2 to 19 years are obese or overweight, increasing their risk for other health problems, including heart disease, stroke, diabetes and some types of cancer. Since 1980, obesity in this same age group has tripled. In addition, the data also reveals significant racial and ethnic disparities, with Hispanic boys and non-Hispanic African-American girls significantly more likely to be obese than their youthful counterparts. In response to these alarming trends, Jam!boree Day provides a day of fun in the park that focuses on developing healthy habits and fitness as beneficial components in the lives of its Southern California residents.
Jamboree has been selected by the Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness & Sports as a Spotlight Award nominee. This award honors individuals, organizations and events that positively impact the physical activity and fitness levels of California’s children and youth. If selected as a 2011 winner, the 2012 Jam!boree Day will be underwritten by the Council.
HOW: Jamboree’s mission is to create opportunity for local residents with the homes it builds and the services it provides – exceptional resident services such as computer training and Internet access, health and fitness, and financial literacy. By developing environments that foster healthy living, academic achievement and build community, families have access to homes they can afford, with distinctive and essential services that are responsive and that strengthen the community as a whole.
About Jamboree: Founded in 1990, Irvine, CA-headquartered Jamboree Housing Corporation is an award-winning, broad-based nonprofit housing development company that develops, acquires, renovates and manages permanently affordable rental and ownership housing throughout California for working families, seniors and people with special needs. HOMES, Inc. and Housing with HEART are 501(c)(3) organizations and comprise Jamboree’s Resident Services Group. A leading nonprofit developer, Jamboree is committed to sustaining excellence with high quality affordable housing that is good for the environment, the economy and local communities. It currently has about $250 million in affordable housing projects in its development pipeline and a $1 billion asset portfolio that includes the development of and/or ownership interest in more than 6,700 homes in more than 66 California communities. Currently, Housing with HEART programs and services that foster learning, health and community building are offered at 38 Jamboree communities with designated staff at each location. For more information, go to www.jamboreehousing.com.